Tuesday, August 4, 2009

All Students Take Cookies

Huh, I haven't blogged in a while. I've been trying to minimize the amount of time I spend on the computer because, one, it's hot and my computer is just radiating heat. Two, the bill has recently increased on only our house, I don't even know the details, but my mom has been everyone's case about stop wasting stuff. Yet she's the one who turned on my fan when I said I didn't need it. Oh well, I'll just turn it off after I'm done typing this. Anyhow, yeah, I've been humoring my mom by drawing and writing in my notebook since she thinks I've done nothing but sit in front of the computer all summer (and go to cross country). I sometimes think that she can't see me when I'm reading a book or when I'm doing my math homework. Three, I do have math homework and recently, if I'm not listening to my sister explain triangles to me or I'm not doing the homework she assigned me, I'm sleeping. My mom thinks I'm sick because I've been sleeping maybe over 12 hours a day. So yeah, I'm supposed to be doing my math homework right now, but I felt like typing stuff today. Since I'm talking about math, I'm going to teach you guys a nifty math trick my sister showed me.
Ever heard of quadrants? Trigonometric functions (sin, cos, tan)? No? Well you might not get this then. So there is quadrant I, II, III, and IV. It'd make more sense if I drew a diagram so bear with me (or not read this and go on with your lives).
Imagine this as a graph that you'd normally graph your lines or whatever functions you graph on (ignore the "----"s, they're just to keep the "|" in place):
--------------| y
Quadrant II | Quadrant I
--------------|
--------------|
____________________ x
--------------|
Quadrant III| Quadrant IV
--------------|
--------------|
So if you ever need to determine what sign (positive/negative) a trigonometric function is there's something you can use to help you remember it as long as the quadrant is given. "All Students Take Calculus", or the one I liked better, "All Students Take Cookies". So "All" is quadrant I and it means that sin, cos, and tan, they're all positive. You could probably tell since quadrant I is where the x and y are both positive. "Students", the S symbolizes that only sin is positive, the rest are negative. "Take", the T means that only tan is positive. "Cookies", the C obviously means that cos is the only one that is positive.
Well that was a really bad explanation, but hopefully I'll look back at this when the school year starts again and be able to understand what in the world I'm talking about.
Because I have three lessons of math to do (and no, I didn't procrastinate and the homework piled together, my sister assigned all of it today), and since my sister is threatening to make my homework due tomorrow, rather than the day after tomorrow, I should go now. Bye guys!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home